Apricot Balsamic Chicken Recipe is a delicious and simple chicken recipe.
This recipe has been around for a while. I’ve been making this Apricot Balsamic Chicken for my family since 2010! I’ve had a good photo of this chicken, today I’ll re-surfacing the recipe with new photos for you to enjoy. This is a must-make chicken recipe. Be sure to read the reviews under the recipe at the end of this post. Everyone seems to enjoy it. It’s easy to make and it has just a few ingredients.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR APRICOT BALSAMIC CHICKEN:
- oil, salt, and pepper
- onion and fresh thyme (can sub dried)
- apricot jam
- balsamic vinegar
HOW TO MAKE APRICOT BALSAMIC CHICKEN:
This is a lighter chicken recipe, so you’re not going to be frying it in a heavy amount of oil or anything like that. Before adding chicken to the pan, you’ll sauté red onion in a small amount of oil The chicken is sprinkled with salt and fresh thyme, and it’s sautéed in the pan until done. You’ll keep the heat at medium to medium-high to avoid burning the onions. Once the chicken is cooked through, you’ll remove it to a plate while you make the sauce.
For the sauce, you’ll heat apricot jam, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper in the skillet.
Then you’ll add the chicken back to the pan and warm it up with the sauce. If you have picky eaters in your house, you can always serve the sauce on the side and let people drizzle on their own sauce, as desired. The sauce is really, really good… but picky eaters might wrinkle their noses!
If you don’t have a red onion, it’s okay to use a yellow onion. If you don’t have fresh thyme, you can substitute 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme. Try using raspberry jam instead of an apricot jam if you would prefer to change the flavor of the sauce.
Serve this Apricot Balsamic Chicken with rice and your favorite vegetable. Enjoy!
Apricot Balsamic Chicken Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
Course: Main Course
- 1 teaspoon vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1½ teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 16 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breasts (4 cutlets)
- 1/3 cup all fruit or reduced-sugar apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat until hot. Add the onion; sauté 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle thyme and 1/4 teaspoon salt over the chicken. Add the chicken to the pan; sauté 6 minutes on each side or (less) until done. Remove the chicken from pan; keep warm.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, jam, vinegar, and pepper to pan, stirring constantly until the jam melts. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve immediately.
- I always pound out my chicken breasts a little bit to thin them out and even out their thickness. They cook up quicker and more evenly that way. Alternatively, you can buy the thin-cut thicken cutlets and use those instead.
- I love the sauce for this chicken, but the flavor might be overwhelming for kids. Serve a dish of the sauce on the side for the little ones- then they can dunk their chicken into the sauce if they wish.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 199kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 433mg | Potassium: 464mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 110IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 1mg | Blue WW Smartpoints: 2 | Green WW Smartpoints: 4 | Purple WW Smartpoints: 2